Bishop John Simor of Györ (Hungary) heard about the Sisters of Niederbronnin Vienna by Cardinal Rauscher. They already did apostolic work there since1857. In 1863 he requestedthe Niederbronn Sisters to work in Sopron.
On May 19th, 1863, the first four sisters from Vienna arrived in Sopron. For 3 years their first residence was the Bishop’s House andtheir first Superior was Sister Basilissa Gürtler. The apostolic work of the sisters was to care for theabandoned, thesick, the orphans, and the children in need.
John Simor, Bishop of Győr
In May, 1865 Mother Alphonse Marie visited her sisters in Sopron, which brought great joy for all the sisters, who had had their Novitiate with Mother Alphonse Marie in Niederbronn.
The place where the sisters worked became too small for the increasingnumber oforphans,so theyhad to look for a larger house. On May 31st, 1866, they moved to their own house outside the city walls.This place became and remained the Motherhouse of the Congregation in Sopron until 1950.Bishop Simordeclared the house in Sopron independent by the decreefromJune 13, 1867.This was the beginning of our Congregation.
In 1871, 26 sisters belonged to the community.They cared for the sick in their own homes and for children, especially the orphans.When compulsory educationbecame legal in the Austria - Hungarian Monarchy (1868) the sisters began to teach the poor children in village schools.
Church of the Motherhouse in Sopron
Sister Evergilla Gossi was elected first Superior General of the Congregation in 1874. Within her term of office, the first eight filial houses were opened. In 1885 Sister Stanislaa Steinmayer was elected Superior General. During her term of office until 1921 the Congregation grew rapidly, opening 43 filial houses.From 1886-1887 the Motherhouse Church in Sopron was built and the conventenlarged. Afterthe collapse of theMonarchy, the Congregation still hadinstitutes in fourdifferent statesand sisters working in
USA since 1912.
During World War I many schools became military hospitals. A Red Cross hospital was set up in the Motherhouse in Sopron where
many wounded soldiers were cared for.
The enlarged increased Motherhouse